As we are finalising the resources for Sustainable September 2016, we have just learned of a great initiative which will fit so well with our theme: “Time to Act”.
September 3-11, 2016: Join with church communities across the Pacific
“We cannot build a Pacific Climate Movement without engaging our faith communities. Faith is pivotal to our people, and like the ocean, it connects us. In the face of the climate crisis, we need prayer to carry our people and faith to build resilience.”
Pray for our Pacific is non-denominational and open to interpretation. Therefore each church community has an opportunity to Pray for our Pacific in whatever way best reflects their community and capacity. These are some examples:
- Dedication of a prayer during your sabbath service.
- Dedication of your church service to #PrayForOurPacific
- Youth-lead #PrayForOurPacific activities
- A #PrayForOurPacific prayer circle
- Sharing stories from relevant scriptures with Sunday school children
- Sharing local stories of climate impacts
- Remembrance service dedicated to lives lost during climate change disasters
- #PrayForOurPacific church rally which includes all of the above!
Your event can be as big or as small as you like. What is important is that your church owns your event and you know that you will be joined by our brothers and sisters throughout the Pacific, Australia and New Zealand. Possibly beyond!
It’s important that we as a people use our faith to empower ourselves and this movement. We aren’t looking to our faith as a way to solve the issue of climate change, but we are looking to our faith to find the strength to continue the fight to protect the planet that was gifted to us. Not a planet that we have dominion over, but a planet we are stewards of.
Download the resource here: PrayForOurPacificSabbath (1)